28/08/2015

Senran Kagura 2: A very physical edition indeed


I received today my European physical copy of Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson, ordered months ago on the Marvelous website. Joy and delight!

I loved the first game so much that missing on the second one was simply not an option. I was first planning to purchase the North-American version, until I learnt that Marvelous Europe would be printing physical copies on demand. I immediately felt compelled to support this great policy by ordering my own copy, and so did I. I have to admit that Marvelous Europe did an amazing job at offering an wide range of special editions of the game. I'm the kind of gamer who sees goodies and feelies primarily as useless dust-collectors, unless they are somehow connected to the game's content—which they were not in these particular cases—so I went for the game alone. Yet with hindsight, and as much as I commend Marvelous Europe's pre-ordering campaign, I nearly wish that I had ordered the North-American version instead. For, lo and behold:



That cover!! Come on, Marvelous, what were you thinking? Do you realize that because of your tacky design choices, I cannot let this game's box lie around in my flat? On the other hand, it's pretty consistent with the cover art of the first instalment, and I certainly appreciate this consistency. Still... Even the Japanese cover art of both SKB and SK2 is ten times more sober than that, and I cannot help but question the choice of that particular cover art for Europe. Weren't Marvelous Europe afraid that such a raunchy cover would hurt sales? Didn't they realize that for every gamer licking their chops at the prospect of playing games with such risqué covers and going for it shamelessly and petulantly, there would be another gamer that would shudder at the though of being seen in a game shop with these things in their hands and/or at the thought of having them lying around in their bedroom/flat? Oh, well. I personally don't really mind that much, especially knowing the campy and self-derisive undertone of the game. I'll just keep it safely tucked away, lest eyes more innocent than mine fall upon it.

Anyway, I was not planning to play a Beat'em Up right now, but I may well change my mind after having received that precious. Or not. My gaming instinct rules the game, and it has not decided yet what to do regarding SK2. One thing is sure, though: I'm delighted with Marvelous Europe, and I hope they repeat the experience and bring more physical editions of their games to the Old Continent. And if other publishers could follow suit, that would be even better. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to play the SK games for a while. Guess now that the sequel got released, the first one probably got a price cut.
    Actually, I find the American cover to be too generic and bland. At least this one and the first SK have a rather "iconic" cover art. I mean, you can't possibly forget this cover!

    "another gamer that would shudder at the though of being seen in a game shop with these things in their hands"
    You don't know how much fun it was when I bought Hatsune Miku in a store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree, this cover art is quite unforgettable! And I totally, completely, wholeheartedly encourage you to play the SK games. They are amazingly fun and campy Beat'em Ups with rock-solid physics and endearing characters!

      "You don't know how much fun it was when I bought Hatsune Miku in a store": really? What happened exactly? :D

      Delete
    2. My doubt now is if I start with the ones on the 3DS or on the Vita.

      Let's just say a 25 year guy with a black leather jacket raises his arms in happiness when he unexpectedly sees the game on a shelf. When I went to pay for it, the cashier looked at the game box, then at me and asked if I wanted it gift-wrapped. I said: "Oh, no thanks! I'm gonna play it right away." Cue incredulous look. To this day, I still think the cashier thought I was joking. For reference, the box art is really colorful and the name is "Project Diva" so...
      Fun times. I'll probably do the same with the 3DS Hatsune Miku game that's gonna release in a few days.

      Delete
    3. Hahaha!! Oh dear, you totally cracked me up with this one. :D I can totally picture the scene and the incredulous look of the cashier. Hilarious!

      As for the choice between 3ds and Vita entries... I guess it all boils down to whether you want some 2D or 3D action. I yet have to play the Vita instalments myself and I fervently hope that their physics are just are gloriously good as the physics of the 3ds entries!

      Delete