05/07/2015

Coveted games: Summer games ’15



It is no secret that summer is usually a quiet time as far as game releases are concerned. Usually, but not always: for some reason, a lot of appetizing games are slated for release this summer, with release dates spreading evenly from July till September. Well, I am certainly not complaining; I have already purchased a good number of games in June, new releases as well as games a few months old that I didn’t get the opportunity to buy sooner, and I’m firmly planning to buy more before the summer is over. Without further ado, here are my coveted games for the season!

Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven (3ds): To be honest, I am not too sure I fully understand the concept of that game. Is it supposed to be an RPG? A simulation? A mix of both? Things are a trifle unclear, if you ask me. At any rate, it looks interesting, and I have this peculiar fondness for Marvelous after liking a couple of their games, which led to an unavoidable purchase. And since I own a North-American 3ds, I went for the physical version.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Generation (Vita): I discovered the series for good a couple of weeks ago when I cleared the first Vita instalment and absolutely adored it. (There’s a review in the pipeline, obviously.) As a result, every Hyperdimension entry became highly desirable, and that obviously includes Re;Birth 3—which is a remake of a PS3 game, just like the two other Re;Birth episodes released on the Vita before it. I am already itching to play Re;Birth 2, so I’m certainly not going to wait months before buying this third episode.

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (3ds): As I said above, I have a peculiar fondness for Marvelous, and I certainly commend their efforts to bring a large variety of physical editions of SKB’s sequel to Europe. These editions will be printed on demand, and I definitely would like to see more publishers adopt that particular practice. All praise aside, I really loved the first SKB entry, which automatically makes the second a must-have. It looks even flashier, campier and bustier than the first one, and I’m fully expecting a glorious festival of over-the-topness. Bring it on, Marvelous!   

Lost Dimension (Vita): I was interested by this game’s description at first, before becoming instantly suspicious when I discovered its uncanny visual resemblance with Freedom Wars. I expected a similar gameplay involving full-blown 3D and first-person vision, which would have made Lost Dimension an absolute no-go; fortunately, I was in for a pleasant surprise as the game finally turned out to be a tactical RPG à la Valkyria Chronicles. This will certainly be easier to stomach for my touchy balance system; and although I’m not too fond of Lost Dimension’s art style, I can certainly tolerate it if the game is really good—which I hope it will be, for I’m definitely buying it.

Danganronpa: Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita): I own the first two instalments already, so this one must obviously become part of my collection too. The fact that I yet have to play any of these games is but a mere detail, really; something tells me I am going to like them anyway. My gaming instinct sometimes failed me, but I still trust it to the core.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3ds): Granted, I don’t own a New 3ds just yet. However, I’m really curious about that game, if only because of the whole mystique that surrounds it. The notion of a series that somehow collapsed under its own glorious weight is strangely alluring, and I certainly want to see for myself what the fuss is all about. I will thus purchase that game, and shelve it until I get my hands on a New 3ds.

Ar Nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star (Vita): I’ve heard about that game only very lately; but since it turned out to be an RPG, it instantly gained a spot in that summer list of coveted games. This sci-fi-oriented RPG will not benefit from a physical release, which saddens me a bit; but that is the way things are nowadays. That being said, a digital release is still better than no release at all, so I’m not really complaining. There will probably be a good bargain on that game sooner or later, so it’s just a matter of lurking in the shadows and waiting for the right moment to purchase it.

Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess (Vita): I initially thought that this game would be released on the PS4 only and I was mourning the absence of a Vita version—that is, until I learnt that there would be a Vita version after all, only digitally released. I’m actually quite happy and relieved, and I will wait for my moment, ready to jump at the perfect bargain.

That makes seven games on my radar for the summer—which is a quite a hefty number, given the season. Needless to say, I’m elated! On a more general note, I’ve been playing an awful lot lately; as a result, I have a handful of games to dissect, and I’m planning to do so in the next weeks. It was actually refreshing to get that writing break: although it was mostly forced on me by external circumstances, it allowed me to rest pleasantly and to reconsider the whole blogging thing with a new and fresh eye. I can now dive back into writing with renewed energy and gusto, but also with a lighter heart. I guess even one’s hobbies can use a little break every now and then! So, dear fellow gamers, I’ll see you soon with meatier posts. For now, thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

8 comments:

  1. I'll just give you my two cents about the games I know/played.

    About Lost Dimension, it's a decent game but nothing special. The gameplay is serviceable, the music is pretty good and the story is decent but the game was made with almost no budget for sure. Has ton of slowdowns, freezes and balancing problems but the first two will probably be fixed in the localized version. If I were you I would wait for a price drop before buying.

    Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star is a fantastic game. A must-get. I still haven't finished it on the PS3 but the game is unmistakably really good!

    If you're collecting the Danganronpa games, be sure to look for the Zero Escape games (999 and Virtue's Last Reward and the third one was just announced) since they are from the same author.

    It's really disheartening about the digital only situation of Vita games. I honestly just bought Oreshika and I'm loving the game so much that I'm thinking about importing the physical game just to put it in my collection. Oh well, at least the 3DS games are keeping up the trend of physical releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for giving your opinion! It's quite instructive, as always. :)

      Maybe I'll wait for a price drop before purchasing Lost Dimension, as you suggested. As for the "no budget" side... Well, I think that the same thing can be said about most Vita games! All these quirky dungeon crawlers, from Sorcery Saga to Conception II, feel like they've been developed on a really tight budget. 3ds games don't give off the same feeling of cheapness, so it's really an idiosyncracy of the Vita... For better or worse! I find this low-fi aspect quite charming, actually. :)

      I already own 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, and if a sequel is planned, I'm definitely going to purchase it! I only played 999 but really adored it. If the Danganronpa games are from the same author, then I'm all the more confident that I'm going to love them!

      True, the 3ds games are avoiding the digital-only release trap most of the time. There are a couple of unhappy exceptions such as Lord of Magna, Shin Megami Tensei IV and Rune Factory IV, but for the most part, games are released physically everywhere! On the other hand, I have to admit that collecting 3ds and Vita games in their physical form doesn't feel as pleasurable as collecting DS and PSP games as far as I'm concerned. The main reason is the lack of a booklet, which has become common practice in this console generation. Flipping through the booklet and smelling the fresh paper was part of the pleasure of collecting, and I really miss it! Oh well, times change...

      Delete
    2. Yes I know, but the "no budget quality" of Lost Dimension is exceptionally bad. I payed around 21€ for it (with shipment) and, had I payed more, I would feel somewhat bitter with the price-quality balance. The game is decent, mind you, but for the same price you're better off buying other games.

      "The main reason is the lack of a booklet, which has become common practice in this console generation." You don't know how happy I was when I first imported Legasista from Japan and the game had a near 60 pages full colour(!) booklet. God, to think we'll never get anything like that makes me extremely sad, but, hey, gotta adapt to the times I guess.

      Delete
    3. Jeez, is it really THAT bad? That makes me even more curious about it! Now I want to play it and see for myself how cheap it can be. But I'll definitely do my best to buy it at a low price, he he. :D

      60 pages full colour booklet? That sounds like a dream!! Yes, it's kind of heart-breaking to see that we are moving to an era in which booklets are completely absent... Although there are still a couple of games here and there to break the mold, such as the Silver Edition of Ys: Memories of Celceta and the "Let's get physical" (indeed) edition of Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus. Granted, these are exceptions (and special editions to boot), but they are glorious ones that keep the booklet tradition alive! :D

      Delete
    4. "Jeez, is it really THAT bad?" No no, it's not inherently bad. The game just isn't polished enough (or at all). For instance, Conception II is also a low budget title but the game shines and is extremely satisfying, having good controls/camera/User interface. That's what Lost Dimension lacks.

      Delete
    5. OK, I get it. Well, I will really try to purchase it for an extra-cheap price then! :)

      Delete
  2. Well, Lord of Magna is definitely an RPG, I think due to the development studio going bankrupt, they left out the sim elements in the end. All that's left of that is a lot, and I mean a lot, of text!
    You make me remember that I really have to check some of your Vita games when I get back from holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I see! I actually just started Lord of Magna, after waiting impatiently for my physical copy to arrive. It was packed with the OST and a lovely colour booklet, which was really a nice touch. I hope I will like it!

      Delete