30/03/2014

Gaming Haul: The March session



I would like to offer a gaming schedule of sorts, so that you know what kind of content you can expect from that blog. I’ve met this feature on others gaming blogs, and I find it to be quite neat; unfortunately, I also find myself totally unable to emulate this process. The reason is that when it comes to choosing games to play, I entirely follow my instinct and my inspiration of the moment. Even when I happen to have plans regarding the next game I’m going to tackle, these plans can be disrupted at the very last minute by a sudden, unexpected fancy to play a totally different game from the one I initially had in mind.

So yes, I’m totally unable to offer any kind of reliable gaming schedule, and I regret that. But there is something else I can offer, something I have no shortage of raw material for: a comprehensive video game haul, detailing my latest purchases in the field. While this is by no means akin to a real set-in-stone schedule and tends to be a slightly narcissistic affair, it can still give a fair idea of the games that will be featured and covered here, in the near or distant future. So, here we go!

Senran Kagura Burst (3ds): Basically, I wanted another Beat’em Up to erase the wave of disappointment that washed over me while playing Code of Princess. I read in various reviews that Senran Kagura Burst was similar to my beloved Streets of Rage, and that was all I needed to purchase that game. That, and nothing else. Nothing, I said. I’m a serious gamer, damnit!

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3ds): Not too much to say about this one. It’s a first-person dungeon crawler, and since I love dungeon crawlers to pieces, in any shape or form, I just couldn’t let it pass me by. I didn’t play the original Saturn version, so it will be a completely fresh experience—that is, as fresh as a genre that has been around for roughly three decades can be. 

Toukiden: the Age of Demons (Vita): I wanted a game similar to Monster Hunter, only a tad more accessible. I found the Japanese trailer of Toukiden somewhere on the internet and really loved what I saw. The characters, the weapon system, the general atmosphere and even the voice acting (something that usually makes me cringe in videogames) totally clicked with me and the next thing I knew, I had ordered that game.

Danganronpa:Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita): Despite the fact that I can’t remember its title correctly and routinely tend to replace “happy” with “heavy” for no good reason, and despite the fact that the characters sport the most ridiculous haircuts I’ve ever seen in a videogame, this one really piqued my curiosity. I’ve never played a full-blown visual novel before, and I’m really eager to see what kind of gaming experience Danganronpa will offer me. Since the sequel is currently being localized and will be released in a few months, I really hope this will turn out to be a great game.

Every Extend Extra (PSP): I usually snub casual games, but the concept of this one seemed really interesting, with its combination of trippy music and space shooter-inspired mechanics. And it cost me only 0.01£, so that won’t be a huge loss if it turns out to be miserable after all.

Final Fantasy I (PSP): As much as it shames me to confess it, I have never played a canon Final Fantasy game. Ever. (Yeah, I know. I’ll whip myself with nettles to atone for this, I promise.) I did play various spin-offs, like the Seiken Densetsu games, FF Crystal Chronicle: Ring of Fates, and lately, Chocobo Tales; however, the main games have always eluded me, mostly because I never owned the systems that hosted them, and they remained a distant dream for many years. But now that many of the series’ entries are being slowly but surely rereleased on portable systems, I can finally indulge into my long-lived fantasy (ha-ha) of playing these games. And since I’m quite the methodical gamer, I absolutely wanted to start with the very first entry of the series, hence this purchase. 

Half-minute Hero (PSP): I was not too keen on buying this one at first, since I tend to dislike fast-paced, hectic games that demand to comply with a timer’s limitations. But just to be sure I was not missing out on a gem, I checked a few videos on the internet; and to my utter surprise, I was immediately enthralled by what I saw. From the seemingly fulfilling and clever gameplay mechanics to the nostalgia-inducing 8-bit graphics, everything in that game screamed “Buy Me”. Which I gladly did.  

Capcom Classic Collection Reloaded (PSP): I bought this compilation solely for the Ghosts’n Goblins Trilogy featured on it. This was not a nostalgia affair, since I never played these games back in the days; moreover, I know how infamously hardcore they are supposed to be, and under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t have touched them with a pole for fear of losing my sanity. But lately, I watched a playthrough of all three games, and as I did, I found myself really yearning to play them, despite how brutally hard they were. Next thing, I found this PSP compilation and decided to go for it. And while I’m at it, I will of course give a try to the other games when I’m done with G’n G.

Ultimate Ghosts’n Goblins (PSP): The purchase of this game is a logical continuation from the purchase of the sub mentioned CCC Reloaded. Like I said, I am quite the methodical gamer, and when I start a new series, I usually want to own all the episodes of the said series. Before I even play a single one, yes. That’s how I am.

Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? (PSP): I saw a video of that game, and I loved it, period. I usually carefully avoid platformers, and I’ve read that this one is a particularly challenging one, which was another reason to steer clear of it; but really, the way it looked and played on the screen just captured my soft gamer’s heart. 

Riviera: the Promised Land (PSP): I’ve heard about the Gameboy Advance version of that game, and how it showed interesting idiosyncrasies that set it apart from most RPGs. I first intended to purchase that GBA version, since I’m a bit of a purist, but the rarity and the collateral ludicrous prices of those original cartridges quickly unravelled my resolution. Then, much to my relief, I discovered this very reasonably priced PSP port, and voilĂ : one more game in my collection. 

Atelier Annie: Alchemist of Sera Island (DS): I’ve had my eye on that game for a very, very long time. A couple of years, in fact. The reason why I didn’t buy it earlier is because most available copies are shockingly, outrageously, ridiculously expensive—that, and the usual issue of having to find a seller kind enough to ship to Europe, since Atelier Annie was only released in North-America. So, I braced myself for a long and gruesome wait, and started checking various buying platforms regularly in order to dig up an awesome deal, all the while hoping for a hypothetical European release. But when it became clear that neither of these miracles would happen, and when my desire to try an Atelier game threatened to become overwhelming, I let out a resigned sigh and finally decided to cross the Rubicon and purchase it, no matter how much it would cost me. I ended up paying 90$ for my copy, so I really, really hope it will live up to my expectations.  

Tales of Phantasia (GBA): The very first entry of the Tales series, initially released on the SNES, and revamped for the Gameboy Advance. I’m far from being an expert in all things Tales, but I’m definitely interested in the series, and I absolutely wanted to see how it all started. And it’s most certain that the retro flavour of that game will totally delight me. 

Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA): I’m patiently collecting every Final Fantasy entry rereleased on portable systems, and this purchase is part of the process. The only entries missing in my collection now are the freshly released Final Fantasy X/X-2 on the Vita and the ridiculously overpriced Final Fantasy VI Advance. Better start saving for this one right away, o yes precious.

Well, these were my latest purchases—but certainly not the last, perish the thought. All these games will be covered here, in a few weeks or a few months; and hopefully, they will all turn out to be great gaming experiences. As for now, thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment